I wish I could claim fame to creating Chicken Velvet soup but sadly, I've been making it so long, I couldn't even possibly tell you where I got the original recipe from. Even then, I've deviated so far from the original recipe, its kinda not theirs anymore really. Theirs had no meat in it. I've added bacon on top and cheese. I've even stirred in sour cream for extra creaminess. And at one point I even added homemade noodles to it for a creamy chicken noodle thing. I even added gnocchi once and herbed rotisserie chicken from the deli. Its really just that flexible. Below is the basic way I make it...and I do add probably a good 2 tbsp of chicken bouillon granules/crystals because I like it super chickeny flavored. But I promise you, you will never have a more delicious, smooth, filling and tastier soup than this. Even my picky 14 year old son loves this soup and usually, if its not topped with pizza sauce, he ain't eating it. LOL This really is a majestic recipe. Here's hoping it'll make your day better too!
CHICKEN VELVET SOUP
⅓ c. unsalted butter
¾ c. flour
6 c. chicken stock
1 c. milk, warmed
1 c. heavy cream, warmed
1 c. shredded, cooked chicken
Salt/pepper, to taste
Chicken flavor granules, optional
¾ c. flour
6 c. chicken stock
1 c. milk, warmed
1 c. heavy cream, warmed
1 c. shredded, cooked chicken
Salt/pepper, to taste
Chicken flavor granules, optional
Melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour, cooking till bubbly and thick. Warm (either in the microwave or in a small saucepan) the milk and cream together but do not scald or boil. Add the warmed milk and cream with 2 cups of chicken broth to the flour mixture. Whisk till blended and thickened. Do not boil! Add the remaining 4 c. of stock, whisking till smooth and incorporated. Continue cooking till heated thoroughly. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chicken granules for a stronger chicken flavor if desired. (and I highly recommend!)
Add the shredded chicken and allow to heat through before serving.
Add the shredded chicken and allow to heat through before serving.

No comments:
Post a Comment