In our hometown was a very small diner, known for its counter where everyone would sit and watch their food being prepared on an ages old flat griddle. My grandpa used to take me there nearly every weekend as a child and I fondly remember stacks upon stacks of flapjacks and never-ending plates of bacon. The people who owned the diner happened to live next door to my grandparents and I remember quite well the smell of baking pies and cakes wafting over into the yard from their kitchen, cooling for tomorrow's dessert menu at the diner. While I can't say they ever had chicken croquettes there, it certainly IS in the spirit of the Taylors who owned that diner and every time I make these, I think of them and how awe inspiring their food was. Simple, tasty and made with someone's hands JUST for you. Nothing was pre-packaged or nuked. It was made right then and there for you.
For those who haven't experienced a chicken croquette...allow me to enlighten. It is a palm sized, breaded pattie (sometimes even a cone shape, which is more traditional) with finely chopped chicken, celery and onion that come together in a thick, creamy middle before being deep fried and covered in a light chicken gravy. Its traditionally served with mashed potatoes and that's how I presented them here because its just so darn tasty together. Its mild flavors, crunchy exterior and creamy middle are a treat for your mouth. When I think comfort food, this is one of those recipes that stick out in my mind.
I'm not gonna lie. These DO take some time and some forethought but it comes together really quickly once all the components are in place. Its really no harder than a chicken fried steak. Same process but you're just chilling them before frying the croquettes. A few hints - every time I have leftover chicken, I put some in a ziploc baggie in the fridge just for this recipe. You could poach some chicken for this or even use rotisserie chicken...just whatever you choose to do is fine. And if you go to bread these and they seem too "flimsy"...chill them a bit longer or place them in the freezer for a bit. I bread mine early in the day and let them hang in the fridge all day to they're well chilled for frying by then. And you could certainly use a packet gravy mix but this gravy version is so simple, anyone can do it.
Chicken Croquettes w/ Chicken Gravy
Croquettes:
1 c milk
1 c chicken stock
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
¼ pound butter (1 stick)
1 stalk celery, finely minced
¼ c onion, finely minced
1 c all purpose flour
1¼ pound chicken meat, cooked and finely shredded/chopped
Breading:
2 eggs
2 c milk
⅛ tsp salt
3 c all purpose flour
3 c unflavored bread crumbs (I do half panko, half regular)
Chicken Gravy:
3 tbsp butter
2 c chicken stock
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp chicken bouillion (or more to taste)
1 tsp dried parsley
salt/pepper to taste
For Croquettes:
In a heavy pot, heat the milk and stock on the stove and add pepper, parsley and salt, if needed. In a separate heavy pot, melt the butter and add the celery. Stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes. Pour in the hot milk and stock, stirring until thickened and smooth. Fold in the chicken meat and allow to cool.
Shape into palm sized patties about an inch thick and place on parchment or waxed paper lined cookie tray. Place in freezer for 15 minutes while preparing breading station.
For Breading:
Make an egg wash with egg, milk and salt in a bowl. In two separate bowls, place flour and bread crumbs. Dip the chilled croquettes in egg wash then into flour and let stand a few minutes on lined tray. Finish by dipping back into the egg wash and then in crumbs. Let set in fridge for 30 minutes to set and adhere. (I have streamlined this step into flour, egg wash then crumbs with the same results but if you want a double egg dip, follow as above.)
For Chicken Gravy:
Melt butter in a 1-2 quart sauce pan and stir in the flour. Pour in the stock and whisk till smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes till thick. Whisk in the chicken bouillion, parsley, pepper and salt to taste.
Fry the croquettes in oil heated to 350 degrees until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain well and blot on paper towels. Place on a bed of mashed potatoes and smother with chicken gravy.
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have not had chicken croquettes in ages. Man this takes me back and it sounds so good. You are right - this is one of those foods you only ever really saw in a diner. I am so happy you posted this. I have a stack if your recipes printed out - AGAIN!! Gotta make the cookies too...lol.
ReplyDeleteYUM! This looks just like the ones you get at a diner. Perfect and crispy.
ReplyDelete