Valentine's Day here in Georgia was a beautiful, warm day and for my sweetie, I made him a plate of treats to tempt him. I bought him the aphrodisiac truffle collection from Vosges Chocolates called Sweet Coquettes. They had oyster cream chocolates with real pearl dust....not my thing but he's into the exotic stuff so it was right up his ally as a present. (the Absinthe truffle was a really decadent though) So what better to spoil him rotten than placing his favorite chocolate candies with his favorite chocolate mousse? We sat outside on the back deck and enjoyed the Valentine's Day sun rays and ate our treats happily, like little kids, licking every last bit out of our dessert dishes. We're gluttons, we know. :P
Have you had the pleasure of indulging in a Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange candy shaped like an orange? It comes wrapped in pretty foil and you WHACK it hard on the table to break it into segments like a real orange? If you've not had this distinct joy in your life, you surely should at some point. I see them out alot around Christmas time and they not only come in orange but also a raspberry and I *just* saw a strawberry version, but I'm not sure its a Terry's one. (I'm sure there are knock offs out there somewhere.) Its so fun whacking the chocolate wad into bits before eating but the real happiness comes from the indulging. Each segment is a smooth, silky, mild milk chocolate with a subtle orange flavor that lingers on your tongue. They are so fun not only for eating but for decorating cakes and more! I've even heard of people melting them down for hot chocolate. Any way you eat it, its delicious!
This recipe version was actually meant to be chocolate pomegranate mousse, as was the original from Tasty Kitchen. I've made that too, and its really good, but lack of pom juice prompted this tasty treat of my own! My version of this mousse happily reminds me of that fun, flavorful Terry's chocolate orange candy. Its a delicious super light, fluffy, chocolate treat with a prominent orange flavor punch that is sure to please the kid in us all! Chilled to perfection, its utterly refreshing. Best yet, its ready in about 40 minutes from beginning to end. Yup! So don't wait! Flitter into your kitchen and whip up some fluffy love!
Oh, and I'm thoroughly convinced it's healthy because of the anti-oxidant power of dark chocolate. Least that's what I'm telling my thighs. :)
Chocolate Orange Mousse
Recipe by Sugarcrafter @ Tasty Kitchen, tweaked by me
2 Tablespoons Cold Water
1 envelope (1/4 Oz.) Unflavored Gelatin
¼ cups Boiling Water
½ cups Dark Cocoa Powder
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
5 Tablespoons Orange Juice, no pulp
1 teaspoon Orange Extract
Zest of 1 Large Orange
Optional Garnishes: whipped cream, candies, more zest, etc. (I used those crunchy Valrhona biscuit pearls)
Pour the 2 tablespoons cold water into a small bowl. Pour in the gelatin. Meanwhile, bring 1/4 cup water to a boil. Pour it into the bowl and stir to dissolve the gelatin completely. (will be super thick)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar. Pour in the whipping cream. Beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Pour in the gelatin mixture, orange juice, orange extract and zest. Beat until well-blended, thick and stiff peaks reform.
Spoon/pipe into dessert dishes and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Top with your desired garnish and serve. (the color will darken slightly as it chills, as seen in above pictures taken at different times)
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




How decadent this dark chocolate orange mousse looks, someone hand me a spoon please.
ReplyDeleteI love Terry's chocolate oranges! What a great idea to make a mousse inspired by the orange. This looks really good!
ReplyDeleteI love the flavor combination of orange and dark chocolate. This looks great. I've never actually made chocolate mousse, but this looks pretty easy. Thanks for the inspiration.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great valentine's gift! That chocolate mousse looks so good, definitely going to try making it. I found your blog through Foodie, its beautiful!
ReplyDeleteJessica
www.dinnerwiththeshivers.blogspot.com
I love Terry's chocolate oranges, i am digging this mousse..the flavors are awesome, thanks for sharing..
ReplyDeletethanks for stopping by, off to check out your ice cream recipe.
sweetlife
Hi there Jill!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.
I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://www.sublimehodgepodge.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.
If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!
As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.
Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.
Warm regards,
Steve
P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok