My family and I are total hibatchi/sushi nutjobs. We could eat there everyday barring the $15.00 lunch price tag per person. What's a starving, hungry family to do? Come up with a your own teriyaki sauce to serve over rice and chicken, of course!
Seriously though, this fabulous sauce rivals anything that a restaurant serves and is way cheaper to make that buying a bottle version. It uses stuff I usually have on hand too, which is handy since I make this about once a week and it's zippy fast to make. And, using a low sodium soy sauce, I'm controlling the amount of salt and no MSG. Yay!
Of note: I use pre-grated ginger and garlic in a squeeze tube. You can find it in your local produce aisle usually. They have cilantro, garlic paste...all kinds of stuff in a handy dispensing tube but you can always feel free to grate your own ginger if you have a piece laying around. Or you can use dried, ground ginger/garlic but I think fresh has more zing and pow to the flavor punch.
Hibatchi Style Teriyaki Sauce
adapted from Witchy, a friend
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
1 cup water (or chicken/beef broth)
½ teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 Tablespoon fresh from a tube or grated)
¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1/2 Tablespoon fresh from a tube or minced)
5 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon Wondra flour
pepper/salt to taste
In a saucepan, add soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and honey. Whisk together over medium heat till warmed through. Salt/pepper to taste and adjust garlic/ginger to taste if desired.
To thicken, sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of Wondra over top and whisk thoroughly. Or alternatively, make a slurry of 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cold water and add to sauce pan, stirring till desired consistency.
Serve warm as dipping sauce or poured over meat/rice. Delicous!
Monday, August 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I never tried this recipe but I think this is great I am looking for some kind of different recipe and I think i found one. thanks
ReplyDeleteGreat idea to make your own. Can I use regular Ap flour instead of wondra?
ReplyDeleteSounds GREAT!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't use regular...I'd so the cornstarch slurry instead of Wondra then.
ReplyDelete