Monday, July 19, 2010

Fettuccine Alfredo w/ Grilled Chicken - the RIGHT way!

As I promised last week, here is my real deal alfredo!  Even though Paula Deen like to use so much better that it makes even me cringe, on any given day however, I am not afraid of using real butter in any dish I make.  I use it everywhere.  I even pull a Paula myself from time to time and make a peanut butter and butter sammie.  (don't knock it till you try it!)  I am baffled however, that when people go to make stuff like alfredo, they try to deviate from the classic formulation and mess it all up using cream cheese and half & half in an effort to "lighten" it.  Give it up people.  It's a fatty dish.  Use the butter and cream.  You cannot duplicate that rich, buttery flavor using cream cheese and coffee milk.  You just can't.  Embrace the fat people.  I've tried the lighter versions and they taste like watered down milk to me.  Its just disgusting.  I'll do the extra 10 minutes of Zumba, I don't care - just to enjoy a hearty satisfying meal.

If you've never made alfredo, it couldn't be easier.  3 whole ingredients.  Three.  Even a bonafide "I can't cook" bachelor could pull this one off and impress his lady with a home cooked dinner.  It's really, really mind boggling simple to do.  And nutmeg?  No, we don't do that here.  This isn't a cookie or pumpkin pie.  If you want to be all super authentic, by all means grate some nutmeg in there.  I, however, jazz mine up with some garlic and fresh cracked pepper.  Its by far the BEST alfredo I've had.  I make white pizzas with this sauce too.  Its fabulous.  I've drizzled it over panko crusted pork chops, I've poured it over broccoli, I've dipped multitudes of breadsticks in this.  You just can't go wrong with a good alfredo in your arsenal.

The key to this recipe is low and slow.  Keep your heat low, give it time to melt and incorporate together and thicken into a delicious rich sauce.  Do not boil this sauce ...low low low is key.  This really does come together in the amount of time it takes you to boil water and cook your noodles.  Its great for a night when you need a quick meal.  But enough of my babbling...get cooking!


Fettuccine Alfredo 
with Grilled Chicken

1 pint heavy cream
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic (optional)
Grilled chicken slices
Pasta (Your choice of shape, size)

*Note*  You don't HAVE to use grilled chicken.  You could anything you want.  Italian sausage is really good cooked and sliced too on here.  However, if you want to make the grilled chicken I did, I simply drizzle olive oil over some thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts and sprinkle on some garlic powder and Italian seasoning.  Grill till brown on each side.  Let cool then slice.  Ta dah!

Start heating up your water and while that's coming to a rolling boil, in a large skillet, add the heavy cream and heat over medium low heat.  DO NOT BOIL THE CREAM...ever.  Add your butter and whisk occasionally till it's melted and incorporated.  Sprinkle in the grated cheese SLOWLY, stirring to combine before adding more.  If using garlic, add 1 tbsp now.  Crack some fresh black pepper in there.  Whisk until smooth and all the cheese has melted.  Let thicken over low heat, whisking frequently.

Makes 4 servings.

Btw...this does NOT reheat well at all in the microwave.  Or on the stovetop for that matter but hopefully you won't have any leftovers.  It's that good.  Truly.  Oh and my friend Siggy's breadsticks are the BOMB with this!  Try them too!

1 comment:

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates