Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Island Chicken Salad

It is *so* hot here in New York and I know its mega hot in the South, where my friend Siggy is "like a slug" in her house with the blinds shut to keep out the heat.  Bearing in mind that I'll be in the South myself here in under 3 weeks, I pulled out one of my daughter's favorite recipes to share.  Whenever we take it anywhere, its gone as soon as you set it down.  People always remember this because its so different that other chicken salads and always request it at family events.  Its cool and creamy with a sweet, crunchy bite to it.  And better still, no cooking!  (unless you WANTED to turn on your stove and cook your own chicken, but that defeats the no cooking thing!)  Simply chill.  It's perfect for light lunches, its good on crackers or toasted bagel halves.  Pair it with some fruit and cheese and its the greatest little snack!  I loved mine on these little mini, super soft Kaiser buns.


click to enlarge


Island Chicken Salad

10 ounces pre-cooked chicken chunks
8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
8 ounce pkg cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp mayonnaise


Mix all ingredients together until well blended and chill for at least an hour.  Spread on your choice of breads.


Tip: If you don’t enjoy the tangy-ness (is that a word?) of cream cheese, decrease the cream cheese to 6 ounces and increase the mayonnaise to taste.  Its just as good!

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, this looks really good. I love chicken salad!
    ~The Slug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! May add a bit of chopped mango! Love island flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple is really good in it Jane! I bet you're right though. Mango would rock! I'm with you Sig...chicken salad of any kind I love! :P

    ReplyDelete

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates