On past Christmases, I would invite my dad/step-mom over and my hubby's parents/grandparents over for a nice brunch. This year is the first year we're away from Ohio because of the Army and our families are already lamenting no brunch from me this year. I'll admit, I'm a bit saddened this tradition won't happen this year. I got used to hearing my dad ooh and ahh over things he'd never had before and watching my father in law gorging himself to near balloon proportions on home cooked food since my mom in law can't boil water, let alone cook a meal. I always enjoyed sitting around the table, after all the presents were opened and torn up bits of paper/bows were disposed of, and we would all laugh, talk and enjoy a lazy early afternoon with a great meal together. It just seems wrong this year somehow that it won't happen.
One year, I made Ina Garden's baked omelet for them and the crowd went wild. I should have made 10 of them because people went back for seconds, then thirds till we were completely out of omelet slices. Yes, slices. You pull the omelet out of its pan and cut it like a pizza in slices. I put mine on the cutting board and used a silver pie server and it worked amazing for buffet style serving while looking really rustic and pretty. Best of all, since it was baked, I wasn't standing over my stove making everyone individual omelets and taking away from my party time with everyone. I made it last, right before everyone came and kept it in the oven on warm until it was time to serve. With its crispy edges, soft veggies and the light fluffy eggs, it was just the perfect brunch dish.
I kept it very simple flavor wise - potato, bacon (ham works fine too), parsley and cheese. You can, of course, swap veggies in and out. Finely diced broccoli and/or mushrooms would be really good in here as well. I have also served this with a dollop of sour cream with ranch flavoring and it was a great complimentary flavor. Breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner - this is some really good eats!
Baked Brunch Omelet
adapted from Ina Garten
¼ pound thick cut bacon (or ham chunks)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 c medium diced potato (Yukon or Red is best, don't use Russet - too watery)
½ c finely chopped onion
5 extra-large eggs
2 tbsp milk or cream
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 c medium diced potato (Yukon or Red is best, don't use Russet - too watery)
½ c finely chopped onion
5 extra-large eggs
2 tbsp milk or cream
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp black pepper
1 c shredded sharp cheddar, divided
½ tsp black pepper
1 c shredded sharp cheddar, divided
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces. Cook in an oven safe saute pan or skillet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. (I use an oven safe non-stick skillet.) Drain the bacon on a paper towel and discard the bacon drippings from the pan. Add the butter to the same pan and then add the potato and onion. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to brown and the potato is tender but firm.
In a medium bowl. beat the eggs, milk, parsley, salt and pepper together with a fork. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. When the potato is cooked, add the bacon back into the pan and then pour in the egg mixture on top. Place the pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the omelet puffs a bit, the edges are browned slightly and the eggs are cooked in the center. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar on top and bake for another minute.
Can be served hot directly from the pan in wedge shapes. (I like to pull mine out of the pan onto parchment paper on my cutting board and use my pizza wheel to cut it into wedges)


This is a FABULOUS idea my friend!
ReplyDeleteI lurve omelets!! What a wonderful Christmas day tradition!
ReplyDeleteI just love how easy it is! And baking somehow gave it perfect texture.
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely treat for me! I would love to try this one out today! Thanks.
ReplyDelete