Now since everyone is getting prepared for New Year's Eve parties, I'd like to share two FANTASTIC recipes with you. I am all for finger foods and drinks on New Year's. Simple, easy, make ahead type of food is right up my alley and that's what I'm sharing with you today. First up is a family goodie from my step-mom Lou who first introduced me to her ridiculously uber famous Nacho Rolls that everyone demands near every holiday event (these and Buckeye Brownies but that's a whole other post). Imagine an egg roll meets a taco, falls in love and then this is what their kid would be like. YUM on every level. Secondly, I'd like to introduce you to Sally (Evil Caramel Sauce fame) Darling's so simple its mind boggling Holiday Bourbon Whiskey Meatballs, which graced my holiday table yesterday and will furthermore be added to every appetizer tray I ever make henceforth. LOL
Yeah, 12 years ago, I had no clue what I was getting myself into when my step mom first made me these nacho rolls and taught me how to do them. I had no idea what would happen when I then made them for my hubby's family who went frankly, INSANE for these. I kid you not, the one day, I bet I rolled nearly 100 of these babies in two flavors - nacho and pizza. The more I made, the more they demanded and the same holds true for my step-mom who's co-workers look forward to "eat days" at work when she brings these in. They are so addictive you may need therapy afterward. You will think about them. You will formulate new flavor combos in your head. You'll test them, you'll eat them...its just a never ending thing with these rolls. This version I'm sharing is the Nacho Roll variety.
Nacho Rolls
via my step-mom Lou
1 package of Taco Seasoning
2 cups of shredded cheese (I used Mexican 4 cheese)
1 pound of ground beef
1/2 cup of black beans, drained & rinsed (optional, not shown)
1/3 cup water
1 package of big egg roll wrappers
Oil for frying
Sour cream, ranch dressing and taco sauce for dipping (optional)
Start by browning your ground beef, breaking it up VERY well into small bits as it browns. Drain well, return to skillet. Sprinkle the packet of taco season over top, add 1/3 cup of water and stir well over medium-high heat. Simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat and add the 2 cups of cheese and stir, allowing the cheese to melt thoroughly. Cool slightly before rolling in the egg roll wrappers.
Refer to the slide show below to see how to roll an egg roll wrapper up if you've never done it before. Add 1 heaping spoonful to the middle of the wrapper and roll up. Dampen the edges with water or egg wash and roll up. Do NOT overfill or they will pop and cheese will leak out everywhere in your oil. Once they are wrapped, fry in small batches till golden brown on each side. 3-5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Allow to cool slightly before serving with sour cream, sauce or dressings as dips.
(You CAN make the smaller egg rolls if you want but they take some patience and work but they are adorable for party trays!)
See the gooey, cheesy middle?! So yum! These make about 20 give or take. If you have leftovers, store them in the fridge in a baggie then to reheat, zap in the microwave for about 1 minute per roll or you can reheat in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes.
------------------------- NEXT UP -------------------------
I think Sally Darling is just fabulous, I really do. I have made several things of hers now that have turned out wonderful. Beef Noodle Soup is just too good, Evil Caramel Sauce is heavenly and now these. They are so simple, its ridiculous and they're made in a crock pot. So easy and absolutely fail proof. I never knew bourbon could make such a delicious, tangy glaze! I can totally picture myself wearing a cutesy apron and serving these on a tray with a dirty martini in hand. LOL They are glam, fabulous and DELICIOUS! Try them at your next gathering! Everyone will be asking you to pass on the recipe! And please, visit Sally's site. She's a genius!
Bourbon Whiskey Meatballs
via Sally Darling @ My Homemade Life
1 bag (1 lb.) frozen meatballs
1/2 heaping c. Ketchup
1/2 c. Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 c. Whiskey
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except your meatballs. Mix up really well.
Place your frozen meatballs into your Crock, and pour over the Whiskey sauce. Mix it up all around so each meatball is coated with the Whiskey goodness.
Now turn the heat up to High. Let them warm up, and stir occasionally. This could take about an hour,since they are frozen, then turn them down to low for a couple hours until they are nice and warm.


I have to admit, this is probably the only thing I've ever made, that my stepdaughter has approved up. Well, that and the Buckeye Brownies. Now I am famous! She's right about making different flavors. I've done Philly Steaks and Broccoli, Ham and cheese ones also that were big hits at work
ReplyDeleteWell I wasn't a fan of your lima bean brownies, that's for sure, Lou! These are a different story.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jill! What a sweetie you are for checking my blog out. Oh and your Sloppy Joe's with Hot Dogs....I am SOOOOO going to make those!
ReplyDelete