Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bubble Puff Pizza

I've never met kid who didn't like pizza until recently when I was babysitting for an Army buddy of my husband's.  I had planned to make this recipe for her since she could help me prepare lunch.  She's 4 and what kid wouldn't love playing with food and sneaking pepperoni slices?  When lunch time rolled around, I told her we'd be making Bubble Puff Pizza, something my mom had made for me and that I had made for my kids when they were little too.  I started pulling out ingredients from the fridge and she's standing there, looking at her feet disheartened.  I said "Oh honey, what's the matter?"  She sheepishly looked up at me and said "I don't like pizza at ALL!"  I was floored.  I thought pizza was a staple in any kid's diet, who knew otherwise?!  So we ate peanut butter sammies and chips.  Oh well.


For those who don't know what bubble puff pizza is (I'm sure that's not the official name but what my mom called it), its a crust of tube biscuits all quartered and cut up and then your normal pizza toppings go on.  But what happens is this -  when putting the biscuit quarters in your pan, place them pointed up.  It leaves all kinds of nooks and crannys for melty cheese and sauce to creep in and get in every luscious gooey bit when it puffs up while cooking.  I also make all my topping bite sized, cutting my pepperonis in half, etc.  The smaller the better I find with this so it gets deep down into those pockets.  When you serve it, the biscuit pieces kinda fall apart like a pull apart or monkey bread would.  Its perfect for little fingers to pick apart!  (who doesn't pull off the cheese and eat it first anyways?!)


Bubble Puff Pizza
via my mom

1 tube of Grands Biscuits
1 can of pizza sauce
2 cups of mozzarella cheese (or blend)
Assorted Toppings - pepperoni, sausage, 'shrooms, etc

Spray a 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Using scissors, quarter the biscuits.  Place quarters POINT SIDE UP in the bottom of the baking dish, distributing them evenly over the bottom.  Layer your sauce over top, then your chosen toppings followed by a layer of cheese(s).

Cook for 40 minutes in a 375 degree oven but check often after 30 minute mark.  Using a fork, check middle biscuits to see if they're completely cooked.  If not, cook an additional 5 minutes until middle is finished cooking.  (Time will vary based on amount of toppings).  Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.



See more pizza blog posts by visiting Foodista by clicking below!
Pizza

7 comments:

  1. YUM! This looks so good! I am going to have to try this with the kiddos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is definitely going into my weeknight meal rotation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks super tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY!!!
    I am a veggie pizza gal myself...so I am going to sneak those in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and fresh pizza and wonderful blog. Good Luck.

    Farida
    http://rawsfood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats funny, my daughter has a friend that doesnt like pizza. Rare, but it happens. I will have to make. I think I have the ingredients in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is indeed rare to find a child who doesn't like pizza.My son doesn't like it too.But I love it!I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this pizza widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about pizza,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates