This is a big post - bear with the length.
My grandma was an *amazing* country cook. For eons, every Sunday, we'd all pile into her sunflower yellow little mobile home's kitchen/dining room and after she'd get back from church, lunch was served. We're not talking like a nice little old brunch either...we're talkin' the full fixin's. Turkey, green beans w/ ham, dumplings, homemade rolls, pies of all sorts - the list could go on and on. That woman lived to feed her kids and grandkids! There was no such thing as a small portion and if you left the table hungry, it was your own fault for not going back for thirds or fourths. Such was Sundays at my grandma's house. She raised 4 very big boys and the woman lived in the kitchen. She was phenomenal to watch too. Every recipe was in her head and heart - there was never a recipe book in sight. She made so many amazing meals and while holidays were her shining moments that will forever live on in everyone's minds in the family, I liked when she did smaller meals, like when I'd stop by unannounced just to visit and she'd make dinner for just us. One of those meals was a creamed chicken over biscuits that just made my mouth water. Tender pulled chicken in a creamy gravy over hot, buttered homemade biscuits. There was, and likely will never be, any that compare to hers but I've kinda come to a happy place where I like mine fairly much as I did hers. Makes me think of her...alot.
Over the years, I've seen many, many recipes for creamed chicken that have veggies in it. While carrots and peas are just dandy, in my mind the traditional creamed chicken was just that - cream & chicken. I have made several versions and played with them all till I've finally come up with a recipe that suits me and my palate just fine. Its certainly NOT traditional with onion, garlic and my beloved chicken flavoring crystals, but its down right delicious, fast, easy and that's what matters most.
Creamed Chicken
1/4 cup butter
1 small onion, very finely diced
2 Tablespoons of chicken flavored granule crystals
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cup milk
3 cups of chopped (or pulled) cooked chicken
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Sprinkle the flour over the onion mix and stir to coat. (will be thick and goopy) Cook for a few minutes to lose that floury taste. SLOWLY add in the chicken stock, milk, and seasonings whisking well till smooth. Bring to boil and cook for a minute or two till thickened. Add the chicken and stir. (taste for seasoning and add more pepper/salt to taste) Continue to cook for a few more minutes till chicken is warmed through. Serve over hot biscuits or mashed potatoes.
As for the biscuits....
I *highly* suggest you try these buttermilk biscuits shared by Noble Pig that she found in Cuisine at Home magazine. They are so delectable, flaky, tender and rise to be HUGE! The key (as you'll see in her post) is when you are cutting them out to NOT twist your biscuit cutter. Pull straight up. If you twist, you kinda seal off the edges and they can't pop upwards correctly. (see my picture below) These biscuits were soooooo good. The flavor is astounding. Buttermilk is the way to go! And they were really easy to do in my stand mixer. No rolling out either. I love my rolling pin from Paula Deen but it doesn't fit in my dishwasher. The less I have to wash, the better. :P Anyways, give these a whirl...they are OH SO GOOD!
<---- See that left one? That's what happens when you twist your cutter. You need to use a really sharp cutter to prevent sealing and uneven baking.
Monday, January 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so happy you posted this. I haven't had creamed chicken in ages! I agree that it just doesn't seem right with veggies in it either. And your biscuits turned out amazing. Go Jill. Go Jill. Go Jill.
ReplyDeletethis looks SO yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe as well as the memoried of your Grandma!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to know how many servings this is. I cook for a small Christian school and serve about 160.
ReplyDeleteI can't read the light print on this post. It looks great but hard to read.
ReplyDeleteDid you mean 2 tablespoons of chicken flavored granules or 2 teaspoons? Tablespoons seem like a lot.
ReplyDeleteCan I use canned for this
ReplyDelete