Friday, January 28, 2011

Its My Cake & I'll Cry if I Want To...

Some things I learned today...

a)  arthritic hands SUX for decorating a cake with a squeeze type icing bag  

b)  when using gel coloring, start with the smallest dot, not a spoonful or else your sky blue goes neon navy

c)  if you nearly choke to death coughing on dry crumbs, that's not a good sign

d)  if your mouth feels greasy after you eat the icing, its prolly not a keeper recipe (gross)

e)  I really, really need to take a Wilton decorating class in immediate future

and finally...

f)  it sucks to make your own birthday cake but if I left it to my hubby, I'd be eating a Twinkie or Ho Ho with a candle in it.


I mean, this cake was edible.  The flavor was okay, I guess but you couldn't get past the dryness.  It was the Sahara in cake form.  But when it has a 5 star rating from a ridiculous amount of people (179 to be exact) and its posted by one of the bigger food bloggers who claims its her favorite cake recipe, you tend to assume it a sure fire recipe.  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!  I'm so upset that I used my Queen Guinevere specialty cake flour from King Arthur for this too.  Its kinda expensive. 

I don't think I'll be making this again anytime soon....

4 comments:

  1. Oh No! I'm so sorry Jilly. I'd make ya a cake if I lived closer. I know you are a good baker/cook so I know it isn't anything you did wrong. It looks pretty darn good to me though!! I think you did great decorating it - much better than me!! Dare I ask whose recipe it was??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MAN! That sucks donkey balls :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was from guest post via Confessions of a Cookbook Queen that she got off of Allrecipe. Upon thinking about it..I added a cake enhancer from King Arthur...supposed to make it last longer and I wonder if that affected it. I don't notice it in my other cakes but I think I'm going to remake it again without it and see the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on the award train - hop on!
    http://the-country-cook.blogspot.com/2011/01/blogger-awards-and-big-thanks-to-you.html

    ReplyDelete

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates