Monday, January 24, 2011

Terrific Butter Dip Biscuits

Last week since Jon and I couldn't decide exactly what we wanted for our menu, we decided to try something different.  We picked ALL new stuff we'd never had before.  Every meal we ate was brand new to us.  That ended up being a good and a bad thing.  Good because I found some really lovely new dishes (as in Jenna's Spicy Sweet Asian Beef) that renewed my faith choosing new recipes but then bad as I wasted ample time and money on others as they went down my garbage disposal from "big name bloggers" which I thought would be better than they were.  *cough* 



One of the many I tried that stood out was this lovely biscuit recipe which reminded me of the KFC's biscuits I love.  (don't hate now, they're good)  Kinda crispy, flaky on top but then soft and tender in the middle and buttery to boot!  I actually ate mine without any additional butter as I sopped up some chicken gravy.  They honestly don't need any additional butter but hubs assures me jam is terrific on them!  They're very retro feeling for some reason.  Maybe its the way they're not rolled and cut out...they just have this rustic, old time-y feel to them.  I love that. 

There seems to be some debate on these and their history.  Apparently they're from Better Crocker originally and have been modified in five hundred ways.  You see garlic versions, breadstick versions...all sorts.  My version is one I came across on Plain Chicken's blog where she used her microwave to speed up the process and with my results, I agree.  Its definitely not your normal biscuit, that's for sure.  Its quick, no rolling or cutting out...just easy.


NOTE: should you choose to make these, be careful!  My butter got really hot when I melted it in the microwave as I let it go a bit longer than I should have and I sorta burned my finger on the molten lava butter in my pan.  Be careful as you're pressing the dough in your pan not to burn you...I ended up using the back of a big soup spoon that I sprayed with Pam to push the dough down after I burned my finger and that worked well too. 


Butter Dips
via Better Crocker & Plain Chicken blog

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2/3 - 1 cup buttermilk or milk

Heat the oven to 450°F.   Cut the butter into pieces and place them in a 8-inch square microwave safe baking dish. Put the dish in the microwave and melt the butter.  You can also put the baking dish in the oven to melt the butter as it pre-heats.  (The dish in the microwave is just faster.)

While the butter is melting, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in 2/3 cup buttermilk; continue to add more buttermilk until a loose dough forms. (I used about 2-3 Tbsp more than the 2/3 cup)

Remove baking dish from the microwave/oven and press biscuit dough in the pan over the melted butter  (It helps to put a little flour on top of the dough or your fingers). Using a knife, cut the biscuits into 12 squares. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.

3 comments:

  1. I am making these tonite! I'm so happy you tried this recipe. I mean the name even sounds good!! And I am making the Sweet Asian Beef next time my Mom comes into town. She would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a different version of these, but I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but I love KFC's biscuits too! Buttery heaven! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates