Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Crunch Coffee Cake

Holy smokin' ovens that title is a mouthful to say, isn't it?  Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Crunch Coffee Cake.  As promised in my When Coffee Cakes Go Bad, Vol 1 post the other day, THIS is the correct, yummy version of that black brick of doom I baked the other day at 100 degrees over the recipe's guidelines.  I am very pleased with this recipe now I can actually EAT it instead of using it for a doorstop.

My daughter, step mom and I have an unnatural weakness for Rocher candies with the hazelnuts inside.  There is just something about that creamy Nutella and the crispy shell but my favorite part is the lovely hazelnut on the inside that crunches when you get to the middle.  I can never pass them up and she always finds them in her stocking at every Christmas.  Now she's at college I send her Nutella with Teddy Grahams for snacking in her care packages.  Hazelnut & chocolate were just meant to go together.

I find too, now that its fall, people are reverting to pecan pies and pumpkin everything.  I'm allergic to pecans and I grew up near the Circleville Pumpkin Show.  I've eaten as much pumpkin as I care to eat...ever.  So I give you this coffee cake, a different approach for the fall days ahead.  Its nutty, sweet, crunchy topping is a perfect match to the vanilla heavy crumb cakey bottom.  Not overly sweet either which is great for me as lots of morning pastries tend to be heavy on either icings, fillings or glazes.  Makes a wonderful breakfast with a hot cup of Irish Breakfast tea....


Click to enlarge.
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Crunch Coffee Cake

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cold butter, in pats
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped

Cake:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  (double check you didn't set it to 450 like me!  LOL)  Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray or grease/flour pan.  Set aside.

For the topping, in a medium bowl, stir the sugar and flour together.  Use a pastry cutter and cut in the butter pats until they resemble fine crumbs.  Stir in the chocolate chips and the hazelnuts.  Set aside.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Set aside.  In your stand mixer (or big bowl), cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla on medium speed.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well before adding next egg.  Turn mixer to low and gradually beat in the dry ingredient, alternating with the milk.  Mix well until smooth and creamy.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth.  Sprinkle with the topping evenly and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan before serving.

Tip:  I made a small drizzle glaze of milk and powdered sugar for this batch but its not necessary.  Good without!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Its no brown butter sea salt rice krispies but it'll do! :P

    ReplyDelete

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates