And then...thanks to a post by Noble Pig (fabulous!)...I found my nirvana. Mac & Cheese Gnocchi. For those not in the know, gnocchi is small potato doughy noodles of happiness in oval form. I *love* them. They are a great replacement for pasta noodles in alot of dishes. My son loves when I swap them in place of dumplings in my chicken and dumpling recipe. They are great with brown butter, sage and parm cheese. They are simply delicious. So when I saw Noble Pig's post, I knew I had to try it. There was no getting around it.
This recipe takes either homemade or prepackaged gnocchi (which I did) and you boil them up, put them in a shallow baking dish and then cover them with a dual cheese sauce of fontina and Gruyere and THEN top it with more parm cheese! It was seriously, the best I have ever had. It was a fabulous mix of chewy potato nuggets and cheesy, gooey lovliness. You could NOT get enough! My hubby was going "Mmm Mmm" every two seconds as he shoveled more and more in his mouth. Doesn't get any more comfort foody than this my friends. It was perfect for the cooler evenings we're having. (add some crusty bread to get EVERY bit of that cheese sauce!) And honestly, this was so elegant and impressive, I'd happily serve it at a dinner party. Its that good...(and easy to boot!) If you want to see a gorgeous presentation picture, click the link to Noble Pig's post...it was all I could do to get a picture to post since hubs was dying to dig in!
Gnocchi Mac & Cheese
from Cuisine at Home
- 1 pound purchased or homemade gnocchi
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Basil leaves for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 375o F. Prepare gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and place gnocchi in a single-layer in a 1-1/2 quart shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in flour until it thickens and bubbles, then whisk in milk and Dijon. Continue to whisk mixture and cook until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
Combine Gruyere and fontina, then add by the handful to milk mixture, stirring until melted before adding the next handful. Once all cheese is melted, season sauce with salt and pepper.
Pour sauce over gnocchi and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano over top. Bake gnocchi until they puff and cheese is golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let gnocchi rest for 5 minutes before serving.
NOTE: I used MINI gnocchi but regular sized ones are perfect too. Check Noble Pig's site to see an example of regular sized ones.


I saw this on that site and about wet myself! Totally going on the list for the new house!
ReplyDeleteHAHAH! Yeah I found it after I had went to the store so I had to wait a near week to make it. Was killing me. I kept looking at Noble Pig's and drooling. LOL
ReplyDelete