Thursday, October 28, 2010

National Chocolate Day

Today is in fact, National Chocolate Day...which is, PRETTY big news in my household.  I was so excited I Googled it, curious as to its origins and then I saw that there is about 3 other National Chocolate days according to this list of "odd holidays".   Which is fairly cool with me since my contribution to celebrate National Chocolate Day flopped and turned into hockey pucks I think I need to send to my friend in Canada to toss around on the ice with his hockey team mates.

I had intended to make Chewy Chocolate Chunk cookies that my husband's ex-coworker had shared with me about two years ago.  I was so excited she shared her recipe with me since her cookies could be the absolute cure for PMS symptoms because they're so loaded with chocolatey goodness.  That being said, I should add that I am so completely fond of Crisco Butter Flavored shortening for my cookies.  Her recipe said butter and apparently I should have followed her recipe exact because mine turned out into hard, crispy buttons of chocolate as where hers spread into palm sized, perfectly thin and chewy cookies riddled with molten chunks of gooey chocolate.  Hers were delightful...mine were better donated to the NHL for practice pucks.

Moving on then...Good thing I had a spare recipe to share on deck, eh?!  Sitting on my buffet was the most perfect pan of chewy chocolate chip cookie bars.  Thick, chewy in the middle, crispy & flakey on top...perfectly dimpled with chocolate chips and toffee chips....H E A V EN in a pan.  They come together lickey split quick and one bowl for cleanup.  Too easy!  Did I mention I like Crisco butter flavored sticks?  Yeah, because this recipe came from the Crisco site and I just added in some toffee chips because...well...who doesn't need some toffee chips?  LMAO  So whether your National Chocolate Day is today or another celebrated day...I hope you enjoy these cookie bars.  I know we're plowing through them like there is no tomorrow.  Enjoy ya'll!

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Squares
from Crisco.com

  • Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
  • 2 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Shortening, melted
  • OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Butter Shortening Sticks, melted
  • 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® Self Rising Flour
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (6 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans

HEAT oven to 325ºF. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.

COMBINE brown sugar and shortening in large bowl; beat at low speed until well blended.  ADD flour; add eggs and vanilla. Beat until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans by hand. Press into prepared pan.  (wetting your fingers helps with this)

BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack. Cut into 1 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates