Its beginning to get downright chilly at night here in Georgia and that to me means its soup weather! I *love* soups, stews, bisques, chowders...chili! You name it! Gimme a bowl of liquidy love! I was so thrilled the other day when I stumbled upon a recipe from Three Many Cooks for Creamy Tomato Soup with Italian Flavors. It looked really good but I was kinda put off with their whole cooking process and the fact they wanted to use crushed tomatoes. I don't "do" crushed tomatoes of any sort. Heck, I don't like tomatoes period but I love tomato sauce and ketchup. Weird, I know...but I don't like the texture or the seeds. I'm picky, I know. So rather than tweak their soup entirely, I just simplified it...alot. And I lowered the milk amount because I wanted the tomato flavor to shine through, not the milky flavor.
I totally love these flavors together. Its tomato soup for adults with a sophisticated herby/onion flavor that just pleases every part of my mouth. I love Campbell's tomato soup but this was so easy and I love I could make my own homemade soup in the same amount of time it takes to open a can and add milk. So much better controlling what goes into your food...and besides, homemade beats canned ANY day.
Hope this warms you up on your chilly nights! Serve with sourdough and cheddar grilled cheese sammies! Perfect for dunking!
Italian Creamy Tomato Soup
tweaked from Three Many Cooks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
2 cans of tomato puree (28 ounce cans each)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken but veggie is nice)
5 oz can of evaporated milk
Salt and ground black pepper
Add olive oil to a large Dutch oven or heavy bottom sauce pan, heat over medium-high heat. Grate the onion directly into pan (or run through a food processor till very finely minced) and saute about 5 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning and cook about another minute until you can smell the herby fragrance. Add tomato puree, baking soda and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then cover, lowering temperature to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk and season to taste with salt & pepper. (will need a good dose of salt)
Makes approx. 10 cups. Plenty for family of 4 or more!
PS - a good sprinkling of Parmesan cheese is WONDERFUL on top!
Friday, November 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


The soup looks yummy. And so do the pop tarts!
ReplyDeleteThank you Shaheen! It was really a neat change from the canned kind, which was my favorite...till this! Hope you try it! :)
ReplyDelete