Today is the last day of my big Thanksgiving Spectacular and I am so glad you stayed tuned in all week long for the many dishes from myself, Thecountrycook and SiggySpice. I hope some of you were inspired!
Today's recipe is a fitting drink suitable for any Thanksgiving table. Not quite wassail, and not quite mulled cider, this is a nice punch for lack of a better term. Its super easy to do and only takes 20 minutes of simmering time. Its really good warm, but I like it better cold. Hubby, of course, likes it steaming hot. (he thinks you could add a tea bag to make it a spiced cranberry tea - might try that someday)
The flavor, despite having orange and apple in it, is tarty cranberry along with very subtle spice flavors. Its not overpowering or heady in the least. My mother used to make wassail every Christmas and I remember that being a very heavy taste, almost too overpowering with clove. This punch is very light, fruity and tart with just enough warmth from the cinnamon and clove. Best of all, its non-alcoholic so even the kids can have some!
Its very pretty served in a tall, long goblet like I have with an orange slice for a garnish but I even thinking sugaring the rim would be nice as well. And its just as cozy and comforting in a mug. I am going to try adding some Prosecco at Christmas to this to make it a sparkling adult punch with frozen cranberries floating in the glasses. I hope you love this punch as much as we do!
Spiced Up Cranberry Apple Punch
4 1/3 cup Cranberry Juice
4 1/3 cup Apple Juice
1 1/4 cup Orange Juice
5 Cloves (whole ones, not ground)
3 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Orange, sliced
Garnish (if desired): frozen cranberries, cinnamon stick, orange slices, apple slices
Slice your orange into chunky slices. Place in a medium sized stock pot. Add sugar and spices. Carefully pour in the juices. Bring just to a boil then lower the temperature and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cool about 10 minutes before serving.
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment