Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nana's Mandarin Chicken Salad - Day #4 Thanksgiving Spectacular

Today is Day #4 of our Thanksgiving Spectacular!  Every day is just amping my excitement for the big Turkey Day!  I've seen so many delicious dishes this week on the web - its just mind blowing!  I keep wanting to change my own menu!  Hard to not deviate but alas, I've already shopped!  Good thing or else I'd end up making 40 dishes for just a few of us.  Anyways, please enjoy today's recipe.... see you tomorrow for a guest post from Siggy Spice and don't miss our Sinful Saturday with the easiest caramel sauce that is to *die* for.  Oh and forgive the less than lovely picture...couldn't find my good camera that day.  :(

This recipe comes from my mom.  I'm not entirely sure where she got it...but all I know this makes its appearance at her holiday table every year along with birthday dinners, bridal showers, etc.  Its everywhere she goes because its so dang delicious.  This is surely one of her 'signature' dishes because she's been asked how its made a billion times now.  You just can't mess this up since its practically foolproof.  Its offbeat and its certainly not traditional but it brings a nice change as a first or second course.  The colors just pop and make an elegant presentation on any buffet or holiday table.  Its great because you mix it just hours, or even the night beforehand, and you're done practically as it sits and 'marinates'.  Fast and easy on holidays is always a plus in my book!

I was never a poppyseed lovin' kind of girl but man, this salad converted me on the spot.  Its a lovely sweet and sour tangy flavor that matches well with every part of this dish.  You will NOT be disappointed.  Its just refreshing, crisp, tangy and everything that a salad should be.  And the best thing - kids LOVE the mandarins.  This is a wonderful way tasty way to entice them into eating more greens!


Yummy bite sized pieces of goodness!
Mandarin Chicken Salad


2 bags of ready made salad mix (preferrably Mediterranean or European versions)
2 package of Louis Rich chicken chunks. (oven roasted or Italian)
1 can of mandarin oranges, drained well and reserved
Croutons, well seasoned variety
Seedless green grapes, halved
2 cups cheddar cheese
Jar of Marzetti’s Poppyseed dressing
Nuts, optional



About one or two hours before you’re ready to serve this, toss everything together including the dressing in a large bowl EXCEPT the oranges and croutons.  Stir to coat everything evenly. Place in your serving container and cover and chill till ready to serve.

Gently add oranges before serving.  Serve with croutons and nuts, if using.  (just put them in their own dishes to allow people to add on their own)


PS:  I've also served this with those crispy chow mein noodles for topping instead of croutons.  Hubby loved that.  And I've also stirred in some pomegranate flavored Craisins to bump up the fruity flavor.  That is my favorite variation!




Coming tomorrow - Siggy Spice's twist on cranberry sauce!  











1 comment:

  1. Still looks delicious even without the "good camera". I have to make some food for a teacher's luncheon at my son's school. I think this will be perfect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Quotes

What's the difference between a boyfriend and a husband? About 30 pounds.
Cindy Garner

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
Rosalind Russell


 

Sublime Hodge Podge | A deliciously, delightful foodie/recipe blog! | Copyrighted by Jill Moore| Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates